StarTrac Total Body Trainers (TBTs) are gym-quality machines designed for light commercial or home use. These cross trainers can be used bidirectionally; users can push or pull to train different muscle groups.
The StarTrac P-TBTx is a discontinued cross trainer, but it can still be found through warehousers and secondhand. It’s been replaced by the E-TBT series,
which is prewired for iPod entertainment and 15” high-definition screens.
There’s also an S-TBT series. These commercial machines are very similar to the P-TBTx, but they lack the option of disengaging the arm workout. The S series also has fewer workouts than the P-TBTx and E-TBT group.
Elliptical Hits of the Star Trac P-TBTx
- High quality – The P-TBTx has a 350-pound capacity and is made of sturdy steel. StarTrac’s Total Body Trainers feature high quality electronics, heavy frames and flywheels, and the overall feel of commercial fitness machines.
- Upper body exercise – The handlebars can be kept stationary or used as part of a full-body workout.
- Green power – The P-TBTx is powered by its users to help save on electricity costs.
- Programs – With 8 programs, the StarTrac P-TBTx offers enough variety for a gym machine but might eventually bore residential users who rely exclusively on one workout machine. However, the P-TBTx has 20 levels of resistance and can be used bidirectionally to target different muscle groups. Heart rate control is included.
- Heart rate monitors – Grip heart rate sensors and a Polar heart rate telemetry system are included.
- Great Warranty – Residential customers get a 10-year warranty on most parts and a 3-year labor warranty. A commercial warranty is also available.
Elliptical Misses: Shortcomings of the StarTrac P-TBTx
- Heavy machine – Customers should note that Star Trac P-TBTx trainers stay put. Unlike some other cross trainers for home use, they weigh too much to be easily moved. Set-up of these hefty trainers is typically included in the selling price.
- High price – It’s possible to find substantial discounts on StarTracs, but it doesn’t hurt to check out other brands. Other high-end brands such as Landice and Precor might offer better prices.
Overall Rating for the P-TBTx Elliptical Trainer
The durable StarTrac P-TBTx is a lower-cost alternative to the brand’s premium E-TBT series. While it lacks the entertainment functions of the StarTrac E-TBT group, it offers essentially the same high-quality workouts.