Stamina Magnetic Elliptical Stepper
The Magnetic Elliptical Stepper is a discontinued product from Stamina Fitness, but it can still be found for sale online. Like other low-cost Staminas, this fitness machine is a handy backup for rainy days – and with forward and reverse motion, it’s more versatile than some other discount cross trainers.
Elliptical Hit: Best Feature of the Stamina Magnetic Elliptical
- Dual motion – The pedals can be moved forward and backward to target different muscle groups. In forward motion, it especially challenges the quadriceps, buttocks, lower abdominal muscles, hips, and thighs. In reverse motion, it exercises the hamstrings, lower buttocks, hips, thighs, and calves.
- Magnetic resistance – Magnetic resistance is an improvement over the brand’s Air Resistance models, which are noisier and not as smooth.
- Upper body exercise – The handlebars are movable to help increase calorie expenditure.
- Heart rate monitor – Hand pulse sensors help users exercise within their best heart rate ranges.
Elliptical Misses: Why to Look Elsewhere
- Stability – These machines have steel frames but weigh only 85 pounds. When a machine weighs less than its user, it’s not very likely to remain stable during workouts. The Stamina Dual Action Elite weighs about twice as much as this basic elliptical.
- Resistance – The Stamina Magnetic Elliptical has just 8 resistance levels. Most elliptical machines offer at least double the options.
- Short stride – The 14” stride is too short to support a healthy gait for most adults. That makes the Stamina Magnetic ellipticals similar to a stair climber and could cause knee pain in sensitive individuals.
- Short warranty – These Stamina machines have 3-year frame warranties and 90-day parts warranties. Other discount brands offer a year warranty on parts and labor.
Overall Rating for the Stamina Magnetic 1772 and 1773 Cross Trainers
Stamina’s Magnetic Stepper is a fine backup machine, but it’s not durable enough or challenging enough to be used as a primary trainer. The Stamina GX 8 is a much more capable cross trainer, as are discount ellipticals by Schwinn and Sole Fitness.