ST Fitness Total Body Trainer 4820
The Total Body Trainer 4820 with Aluminum Rails, or TBT 4820, is an upgrade to the TBT 4810. Like other Total Body Trainers, it has moving arm bars and elliptical foot pedals to support cardio training and strength training. It improves over the TBT 4810
by featuring a longer stride and aluminum rails for a smoother, quieter glide. This unit sells for about $1249 online.
Elliptical Hits of the ST TBT 4820 Elliptical
- Long stride — The 19.5” stride provides an excellent range of motion for taller individuals. The 4820 also has wide, articulating pedals to support natural movement.
- Stability – This Total Body Trainer houses high quality electronics and a heavy flywheel. It has a 300-pound user weight capacity.
- Upper body exercise – The handlebars can be kept stationary or used as part of a full-body workout.
- Heart monitor – Wireless and contact heart rate monitors are included and can be integrated with the console’s heart rate workout programs.
- Programs – Customers get 12 preset programs, three heart rate control programs, and room to save two self-designed workouts. There are 20 resistance levels.
- OK warranty – The residential warranty includes a lifetime frame warranty for US customers (30 years for Canadian customers), two years on mechanical and electronic parts, and a year of labor.
Elliptical Misses: Why to Think Twice about the 4820 Total Body Trainer
- Noisiness – Although this machine runs more smoothly than the cheaper 4810, it requires occasional lubrication in order to keep the wheels quiet.
- Loss of console power – The elliptical is powered by user energy, not a power cord. Unfortunately, it does not always store enough energy to keep the console running after exercise. It’s supposed to stay illuminated for four minutes after exercise is completed.
Overall Rating for the ST Fitness Star Trac TBT 4820 with Aluminum Rails
When bought online for a discount, the 4820 TBT elliptical is a pretty good deal.
There’s also a luxury E Series of Total Body Trainers. The E-TBTe and E-TBTi have 15” video screens.