ST Fitness 4870 Total Body Trainer
The 4870 is one of the more advanced Total Body Trainers from ST Fitness. It features a 7” multi-color screen that can display video and games, a quiet glide, and a 19” stride. The 4870 TBT also has more programs than ST Fitness’s earlier models.
Elliptical Hits of the 4870 Total Body Trainer
- Good stride – The 19” stride is just right for most adults.
- Heavy drive – ST Fitness ellipticals have heavy flywheels for their price range.
- Heart rate system – Pulse is taken through a wireless heart rate sensor.
- Extras – The unit includes a water bottle holder and transport wheels.
- Programs – The 4870’s 12 programs include four cardio workouts and four custom workouts.
- Good warranty – The warranty for US residential customers is 50 years on the frame, 5 years on mechanical and electronic parts, and a year of labor.
Elliptical Misses of the 4870 TBT
- Wide pedal spacing – These machines have 3.5” pedal spacing. Physical trainers generally recommend that women, because of their hip shape, use machines with less space between pedals.
Overall Rating for the ST Fitness 4870 Elliptical
The 4870 elliptical trainer is a fun machine with enough programs and entertainment options to keep people exercising. Although it has extra programs, it mostly costs more than the 4860 because of its TV. The electronics have a 5-year warranty, but potential customers might consider whether it’s important to have a built-in TV or whether the elliptical can be placed in front of a regular television. This machine scores just average on ergonomics. The next step up from ST Fitness is the 8810, which has a light commercial warranty.