Spirit XE 550 Elliptical
The XE 550 is the top trainer in Spirit’s XE line, and it has the feel of a professional gym machine. Its distinguishing features include articulating footpads, a long stride, and a high user weight capacity of 400 pounds. However, it’s low on programs and lacks the special features of other brands’ top-of-the-line trainers.
Elliptical Hits: Nice Features of the Spirit XE 550
- Moving arm bars – The moving handlebars let people get full-body workouts.
- Long stride – The 20” stride supports a long range of motion. This machine might be uncomfortable for petites, but it will suit most other people’s strides very well.
- Heavy flywheel – The 30-pound flywheel beats the heft of other ellipticals’ drives. The heavy flywheel supports smooth elliptical motion and offers powerful resistance, even for heavy users.
- Heart monitoring – Exercisers can check their pulse with a wireless transmitter or grip sensors, and two heart rate control programs are built into the console. Heart rate control programs automatically adapt to the user’s pulse to provide an optimal cardiovascular workout.
- Reverse motion – The elliptical motion can be reversed, letting users better exercise their hamstrings and abdominal muscles.
- Ergonomic pedals – The Spirit XE 550 pedals are cushioned, articulating, and have an adjustable incline.
- Adequate programming – This machine has 8 preset programs and 2 user-defined programs.
- Good warranty – Customers get a lifetime warranty on the frame, five years on parts, and two years of labor.
Elliptical Misses: Improving the Spirit Esprit XE 550
- Lack of extras – This Spirit elliptical has great ergonomic extras but few bonuses otherwise.
- Weak workout fan – One customer has complained that “a mouse could produce more wind.”
Overall Rating for the XE 550 Elliptical
Spirit’s XE 550 is recommended if you find a bargain price. It has a high capacity, great ergonomics, and is especially good for people who keep track of heart rate. Still, this elliptical is behind in terms of incorporating modern technology. For the machine’s original price, you could find a cross trainer with an incline and a sound system.