Spirit EL7 Elliptical
The Spirit EL7, or Esprit EL-7, has a number of club-quality features: slanted pedals, chrome rails, a long stride, and a heavy flywheel. Its main distinguishing feature is its incline. This is a good machine, but it doesn’t match up to its competitors in the same price class.
Elliptical Hits: Nice Features of the Spirit EL7
- Motorized incline – Incline training lets people train different lower-body muscle groups and burn calories more quickly. The Spirit Esprit EL-7 has a modest incline of 15 degrees. Some ellipticals have no incline at all, but others (like the more expensive Precor 546) incline up to 40 degrees.
- Durability – This sturdy machine weighs about 200 pounds and has a 325-pound user weight capacity.
- Long stride – The 20” stride permits a natural range of motion for average-height to taller users.
- Heavy flywheel – The 30-pound flywheel beats the drives of many other ellipticals, regardless of price.
- Articulating pedals – Pedals on this trainer are slightly inclined for comfort and can be adjusted to three different positions.
- Ample programming – Twenty pre-set workouts are built into the console. These can be combined with 20 resistance levels.
- Heart rate control – Workout programs automatically adjust in response to the user’s heart rate data, which is transmitted wirelessly or via grips.
- Good warranty – Customers get a lifetime warranty on the frame and brake, five years of coverage on major parts, and a six-month warranty on wear parts. A year of labor is also included.
Elliptical Misses: Improving the Spirit Esprit EL7
- Large footprint – This machine has an institutional size frame, and it’s too big for some home fitness centers. It’s 87 inches long and 27 inches wide. The EL1 has a more compact design.
- Stationary arm bars – This elliptical doesn’t offer upper-arm training.
Overall Rating for the Spirit EL-7
The well-built Spirit Espirit EL-7 is a fine mid-priced machine. It’s above average in terms of ergonomics and overall quality, yet some brands offer more enticing combinations of quality parts and extra features. The Yowza Sanibel, for instance, is priced about the same but has moving handlebars and an iPod dock.