Smooth Fitness CE 3.0DS Elliptical
The Smooth CE 3.0DS is a two-in-one trainer: an elliptical and a treadmill. At the same time, it’s a small machine that’s practical for home use.
Elliptical Hits of the CE 3.0DS Elliptical
- Dual motion – The machine adjusts to support a 21” elliptical glide or a shorter stair-climbing motion.
- Heart rate monitor – The CE 3.0DS includes wireless telemetry. Heart rate information can be transferred to the console for automatic program adjustment.
- Program variety – In addition to 4 heart rate control workouts, this machine has 6 basic preset programs, space to store 4 user-designed programs, and a body fat calculator.
- Long stride – The 21” stride supports a full range of motion to tone the legs.
- Heavy drive – Smooth Fitness ellipticals have above-average flywheels for their class.
- Moving handlebars – Upper-body exercise adds to calorie burn and enhances the cardiovascular workout.
- Bottle holder – A convenient water bottle holder lets users conveniently stay hydrated while working out.
- Good warranty – Customers get a lifetime warranty on the frame, two years on the brake and other parts, and two years of in-home repairs if needed. It would be nice if the magnetic brake had a longer warranty, but this is a fair warranty when the machine in on sale.
Overall Rating for the Smooth Fitness CE 3.0DS Elliptical
Smooth touts its CE 3.0DS as a unique machine for its dual use as an elliptical and a treadmill. But nowadays, it’s common to get more than one type of motion from an elliptical trainer. Machines with adjustable strides and inclines could similarly be advertised as several machines in one; they let people target their glutes, quads, or calves by adjusting the machine.
That said, the Smooth CE3.0DS is a good buy. It lacks the entertainment features and adjustable stride that are becoming common on elliptical trainers, but it has the basics to support a healthy workout.
For an upgrade that includes iPod compatibility and an adjustable stride, see the Smooth CE 3.7.