Precor EFX 5.17i Elliptical
The Precor EFX 5.17i builds upon the Precor EFX, the world’s first mass-produced elliptical trainer. Although the 5.17i is one of the brand’s most inexpensive models, it’s a high quality machine with color graphics, an adjustable incline, and 20 resistance levels.
Elliptical Hits: What You Get
- High quality – The Precor brand is associated with durable, low-maintenance fitness equipment, and the 5.17i is no exception. The residential elliptical is sold with a confidence-instilling 10-year warranty.
- Adjustable incline – The machine adjusts from 12 to 25 degrees to help exercisers train different muscle groups. The machine can also be operated in reverse to train muscles differently.
- Long stride –The 19” stride lets most people use a full range of motion.
- High capacity – The 5.17i elliptical weighs 240 pounds and is stable enough for just about any user.
- Extras – Appreciated extras include an integrated storage space for reading material and music, data storage for four user IDs, and a wireless heart rate transmitter. It also has safety features to help protect curious kids.
- Excellent warranty – Precor elliptical purchases are protected with a lifetime warranty on the frame, a 10-year parts warranty, and a year of labor.
Elliptical Misses: Drawbacks of the Precor 5.17i
- Programs – This Precor elliptical has just 4 programs. Although these can be varied with different incline and resistance levels, some users would expect more programs on a machine of this price.
- Size – The sizeable 5.17i has an 84”x31” footprint.
- No upper body workout – Unlike most ellipticals, the EFX 5.17i lacks movable arm bars. The brand’s next step up, the 5.19, supports a synchronized upper body workout.
Overall Rating for the Precor EFX 5.17i Elliptical
Precor makes some of the best home ellipticals on the market. The Precor EFX 5.17i is a reliable, low-maintenance fitness machine. Its incline is an excellent feature. However, the lack of upper arm bars makes this not a highly recommended buy; if someone will be using an elliptical to tone their legs, they might as well get some upper-body benefit at the same time. The EFX 5.19 might be a better purchase.