Octane XR4 Elliptical
The Octane XR4 is a seated elliptical that enables cross training. This recumbent elliptical has a comfortable seat and includes an arm press. It also doubles as a leg press machine. It’s available in two slightly different models: the Octane XR4c and the more advanced XR4ci with heart rate control.
Elliptical Hits: Great Features of the XR4 Octane Elliptical
- Great ergonomics – The elliptical pedals are oversized for comfortable foot positioning. Smart engineering supports smooth motion, and the adjustable seat has scores of possible height/angle combinations.
- Versatile pedals – The pedals can be used for bidirectional low-impact elliptical workouts or as a leg press for strength training.
- Safety mode – With a setting that’s actually called MOM Mode, the machine’s pedals can be locked in place.
- High capacity – Octanes are sturdy machines with 300-pound user capacities.
- Programs – This recumbent elliptical is available with 8 or 12 programs and 20 resistance levels. The more advanced version, the XR4ci, has four heart rate control programs.
- Extras – An optional feature is the wireless heart rate monitor, which can be integrated with special workouts on the XR4ci.
Elliptical Misses: Drawback of the Octane XR4
- Warranty – Octane’s XR4 customers get a lifetime warranty on the frame, three years on parts, and a year of labor. The high price of this machine calls for a more generous warranty.
Overall Rating for Octane’s XR4 Elliptical Machines
This is a top-quality elliptical for people with special back concerns. Of the two ellipticals in this series, the XR4ci is more appealing because of its heart rate control feature. This machine is a significant improvement over the XR3 because of its upper body workout option.
Cheaper recumbent ellipticals include the 8410 and 8420 made by Stridewell.