Octane XR3 Elliptical
Octane Fitness ellipticals fall into two general categories: standing and seated. The XR3 is the simplest seated model currently offered by this high-end brand. This recumbent elliptical has a comfortable seat and doubles as a leg press machine. It’s available in two slightly different models: the XR3c and the more advanced XR3ci with heart rate control.
Elliptical Hits: Great Features of the XR3 Octane Elliptical
- Great ergonomics – The elliptical pedals are oversized for comfortable foot positioning. Smart engineering provides smooth motion, and the adjustable seat has scores of possible height/angle combinations.
- Leg press – The pedals can be used for low-impact elliptical workouts or as a leg press for strength training.
- Safety mode – With a setting that’s actually called MOM Mode, the machine’s pedals can be locked in place.
- High capacity – Octanes are sturdy machines with 300-pound user capacities.
- Programs – This recumbent elliptical is available with 8 or 12 programs and 20 resistance levels.
- Extras – An optional feature is the wireless heart rate monitor, which can be integrated with special workouts on the XR3ci.
Elliptical Misses: Drawbacks of the Octane XR3
- Lack of upper-body workout — This machine is not a cross trainer. Customers looking for seated cross training workouts should look to ellipticals in the Octane XR4 series.
- Warranty – Octane’s XR3 customers get a lifetime warranty on the frame, three years on parts, and a year of labor. The high price of this machine calls for a more generous warranty.
Overall Rating for Octane’s XR3 Elliptical Machines
This is a top-quality elliptical for people with special back concerns. Of the two ellipticals in this series, the XR3ci is more appealing because of its heart rate control feature. However, the XR4 series is better overall; it includes upper-body training.