An Award-Winning Cross Trainer with Sideways Motion
Octane Fitness’s unique LateralX elliptical trainer is taking the fitness world by storm. It won the Best in Industry award at a 2012 health club industry expo and recently made its way into a glowing
review by Shape magazine. Why the excitement? Unlike ordinary elliptical trainers, the LateralX lets you move in multiple directions: up and down, forward and back, and side to side. Tests show that people burn about 27% more calories and recruit about 30% more activity from the key muscles involved in lateral motion.
With thirty levels of intensity, the Octane LateralX can be used by just about any adult for cardiovascular training, strength building and whole-body toning.
Elliptical Hits: Highlights of the Octane LateralX Elliptical
- Variable strides – As hinted above, this machine is highly adjustable. The regular forward/backward elliptical path adapts to your gait. You can also choose between ten lateral widths.
- Advanced pedals – Octane’s anti-slip pedals have it all: They’re oversized to allow for foot repositioning, they’re cushioned for comfort, and they’re very narrowly spaced to promote proper hip alignment. The pedals can also be used in reverse motion to recruit different muscle groups.
- Multigrip moving handlebars – The LateralX’s moving handlebars are adjustable for trainees tall and small. Five grip positions help people isolate certain muscles. The different grip choices also reduce the chance of causing strain through repetitive motion. Buttons on the moving handlebars make it easy to adjust speed and incline during a workout.
- Stationary handlebars – This feature is handy during warm-up, cool-down and workouts that focus on the lower body.
- Wireless monitoring – A complete wireless heart rate system is included. Contact pulse sensors are built into the handlebars too.
- Programs – This Octane elliptical has manual mode and 12 preset workouts. Some program titles are Heart Rate Interval, Fat Burn, and Cross Circuit Solo. Three workout boosters with names like “Thigh Toner” are included too.
- Green power – The LateralX is powered by the user. No power cord is needed.
Elliptical Misses: Drawback of the Octane LateralX
Why doesn’t Octane offer long warranties? Octane’s warranty on the LateralX seems way out of line for such an expensive, premium fitness machine. Customers get three years of parts protection and the first year of labor expenses. The warranty is transferable to other clubs or private owners.
Overall Rating for Octane’s LateralX Elliptical Machines
Orders are piling up for the LateralX! It’s been touring the US at fitness expos and making converts of health club reps who were only familiar with traditional elliptical trainers. We absolutely understand the appeal and give the LateralX a full five stars.
If this innovative machine seems like too much for your club, check out Octane’s “standard” standing and seated elliptical trainers. These also blow away the competition with cross training accessories, arm presses, leg presses, variable strides and other high-end features. Most, unlike the LateralX, are available with TV consoles.