Life Fitness X5 Elliptical Cross-Trainer
With the X5 elliptical cross-trainer, Life Fitness’s X Series really takes off. Buyers get the great ergonomics of other Life Fitness machines – plus the enhancement of an adjustable stride. This feature is ideal for multi-user households and for people interested in training different muscle groups.
Elliptical Hits: Great Features of the X5 Elliptical Cross-Trainer
- Adjustable stride – The stride can be manually adjusted between 18” and 24”.
- Comfortable pedals – The X5 has oversized pedals with foam inserts.
- Heart rate monitoring – Pulse rate sensors are built into the handlebars. The advanced console for this model is sold with a Polar chest strap for wireless monitoring.
- Sturdiness – This machine weighs 215 pounds and has a 350-pound user weight capacity.
- Programming – The X5 cross trainer includes just 5 or 10 preset workouts, depending on the chosen console. However, there are 16 resistance levels, which is an improvement over the X1. Also, the programs are especially dynamic because of the adjustable stride, which lets people train different muscle groups. The X5 also includes upper-arm workouts.
- Extras – A reading rack and accessory trays are included.
- Good warranties – Buyers get a lifetime warranty on the frame, a 3-year warranty on parts, and a year of labor.
Elliptical Misses: Drawbacks of the Life Fitness X5 Elliptical
- Fixed stride – Multi-user households might prefer a machine with an adjustable stride; 20” is too long for short people. The Life Fitness X8 has the same MSRP but has an 18”-24” adjustable stride.
- Size – This machine is 81” inches long and takes up more space than some other elliptical trainers.
Overall Rating for Life Fitness X5 Elliptical Cross-Trainers
The X5 is a step up from the X1. Attractive features include great ergonomics, a heart rate readout, quiet operation, and durability. Still, the relatively low number of programs might disappoint frequent exercisers. The programming is more interesting on the X8; its preset programs interact with the adjustable stride feature, letting users train different muscle groups with one program.