When you buy a Life Fitness elliptical trainer, you’re buying a machine that’s been robotically tested in a state-of-the-art biomechanics research facility. The Life Fitness company takes pride in its research and development and directly oversees the manufacturing of its ellipticals in the Chicago area. Life Fitness elliptical trainers are especially known for their superior ergonomics and quiet operation.
Brand Features of Life Fitness Ellipticals
- Medium to higher price — Life Fitness trainers are high quality, and this shows up in their MSRPs. However, they offer good value. The brand’s most affordable elliptical, the X1, is considered a very good buy. Customers can also control costs by choosing a simpler console on any model in the X Series.
- Excellent strides – Life Fitness ellipticals have been carefully engineered to provide a natural stride, even for tall users. Some models, such as the 95xi and X8, include automatic stride adjustment.
- Comfortable pedals – The pedals on Life Fitness ellipticals are oversized for comfort. Pedals on the top-of-the-line X8 are actually flexible to further reduce the impact of exercise on joints.
- Custom consoles – Life Fitness offers basic and advanced consoles with the elliptical frames in its X Series. The basic console has five workouts for beginners, and the advanced console has 10 workouts (including heart rate programs) for advanced exercisers. The Club Series offers a better workout variety with 18 preset programs.
- Sturdiness – These machines weigh more than 200 pounds each and have 350-pound user weight capacities.
- Good warranties – Buyers get a lifetime warranty on the frame, at least a three-year warranty on parts, and a year of labor. Some models also have an electronics warranty.
Overall Rating for Life Fitness Ellipticals
Life Fitness manufactures ellipticals with especially smooth glides and long strides. The brand is somewhat expensive, but it does offer gym-quality workouts with great ergonomics, quiet operation, and durability. The adjustable strides on the X5 and X8 ellipticals are especially appealing.
The low number of programs on some models is disappointing, but Life Fitness workouts are generally engaging, and several are designed to exercise a variety of muscle groups.