Kettler Unix P Elliptical
Compact and good-looking, the Kettler Unix P elliptical trainer is a recipient of the Plus X Award for its innovative design. Don’t be turned away by the supposedly short stride: Although it’s advertised as just 16” long, 19” is a more practical measurement. You’ll also get the smooth resistance of a 20-kg (44-lb) drive and eight programs to guide your cardio training.
This Kettler Unix P sells for about $1299 online. The purchase price includes an above-average warranty for elliptical trainers in this price class.
Selling Points of the Unix P Elliptical Machine
The Unix P is designed for newcomers to elliptical training. Compared with other trainers at this price point, it’s higher quality because expenses go to essentials instead of extras like iPod trays. Trainees get:
- Quiet magnetic resistance
- An ergonomic footpath
- 8 preset programs
- Heartrate control
- 15 intensity levels
- A 45-pound drive
- Adjustable pedals
- Wiring for a POLAR pulse monitor
- A tiltable and backlit screen
The display, though modest, provides essential exercise data including time, distance, speed, intensity, pulse, calories burned and RPM. It also shows a dot matrix graphic of workout profiles.
Note: This unit is very similar to the Kettler Unix M. The Unix M has a slightly lower price tag. Its flywheel is lighter by five pounds and its console is powered by batteries. Since batteries wear out quickly and are a hassle to change, we prefer the Unix P.
The Unix P is a truly respectable product. Still, we can offer minor critiques:
- 8 isn’t enough: Some trainees will tire of the machine in about a year. The eight workouts are enough to get fit, but exercise might become dull after these programs are mastered. Ellipticals with iFit eliminate this problem because new workouts are always available.
- Fixed stride: This trainer has just one stride length. Many other models have adjustable strides, some have inclines, and a few have adjustable footpaths. These options help people focus on different muscles.
- Average pedal spacing: The pedals are spaced 7.5” apart. Some people (short women especially) are more comfortable on ellipticals with narrower pedal gaps.
- Plug-in power: An AC power source is required to run the console. If you want to save on electricity expenses or just don’t want to deal with a power cord, choose an elliptical machine with self-generating power.
Our Overall Review of the Kettler Unix P Crosstrainer
Because it lacks bells and whistles, the Kettler doesn’t stand out – at first. Then you realize that precisely because it lacks extras, the Kettler is an excellent value. The stride is healthy, the resistance is excellent and the programming is adequate for training new users. The heart rate control option is a nice touch and isn’t so common at this price point. We recommend the Unix P to all but the tallest newcomers to elliptical training.