Kettler Elyx 5 Elliptical
A Favorite Higher-End Elliptical: The Kettler Elyx 5 Crosstrainer
About the Company: Kettler, a respected German manufacturer, has been serving the US fitness industry for more than 30 years. As it becomes better known for its excellent engineering and high-quality components, Kettler is slowly gaining a larger share of the US market while remaining a top competitor in Europe.
About the Product: Kettler’s Elyx 5 elliptical is essential identical to the popular Elyx 3. It boasts the same carbon steel frame, sealed ball bearings and 20” stride but has a slightly heavier flywheel and one more data readout: stride speed. New models cost about $2,400 and may be slightly discounted on Amazon. Both are good enough for medical use but are often sold for private exercise.
Top Selling Points of the Kettler Elyx 5 Crosstrainer
- Color-Coded Console Lights:The high-quality Siemens liquid crystal display is backed with a multi-color backlight. This light changes to guide exercise intensity. While a green light indicates that an ideal heart rate has been achieved, red indicates excessive strain or the need to cool down and blue encourages the trainee to speed up.
- The colored backlight illumines data about time, distance, speed, stride speed, calories, RPM, pulse and intensity. Also, a dot matrix shows workout profiles.
- Eight Workouts: Weight loss, interval training, rolling hills and heart rate control are among the diverse preset workouts. Each workout can be used at 75 intensity levels.
- Extra Resistance: Given its 48.5-pound drive, this crosstrainer provides more resistance than most. Spaced in five-watt increments, the resistance levels range from 25 to 400 watts.
- Long Stride: The 20” stride is ideal for trainees of average and taller heights.
More Great Features of the Kettler Elyx 5
- Movable Handlebars for a Full-Body Workout
- Multiple Heart Rate Sensor Systems
- 75 Resistance Levels with Automatic Adjustment
- Narrow Pedal Spacing (2.5”)
- 330-Pound Capacity
- Floor Levelers
- Transport Wheels
- Virtually Silent Operation
Not So Perfect: Drawbacks of the Elyx 5
Complaints about the Elyx 3 and Elyx 5 are minor. First, the open design of these crosstrainers leaves them vulnerable to dust. They therefore require light maintenance (dusting) to keep working in peak condition. Second, some people don’t like the ear clip pulse monitor. Still, the Elyx 5 includes a grip heart rate monitoring system on the handlebars and is compatible with wireless telemetry systems. A third issue is size. With its 80” length, this machine isn’t practical for some small home gyms.
Our Overall Review of the Elyx 5 Elliptical Crosstrainer
Thanks to its typical German engineering and excellent components, the Elyx 5 is easy to recommend if it fits the trainee and his or her exercise room. However, if the Elyx 3 is available at a lower price, you might as well buy that model instead. The Elyx 5 elliptical’s main upgrade is two additional kg on the flywheel.