Kettler Elyx 3 Elliptical
A Top Quality Cross Trainer: The Kettler Elyx 3 Elliptical
Kettler is a major German manufacturer known for its dedication to top-notch design and construction. The company’s Elyx 3 elliptical is a prime example: Its carbon steel frame, sealed ball bearings and massive 45-pound flywheel are just a few signs of excellent engineering. The patented fluid motion on this model’s 20” stride even won the Plus X Award for design, innovation and functionality.
What’s the damage? You can find a new Elyx 3 elliptical online for about $2000. When it’s sold with a free lifetime warranty, this is a best buy. It can provide years of challenging workouts to all but the most advanced athletes.
Selling Points of the Kettler Elyx 3 Elliptical Crosstrainer
- Unique Feedback with Colored Lights: The high-quality Siemens LCD has a multi-color backlight. In addition to making numerical data easy to read, these lights change color with the user’s heart rate. Green indicates an ideal exercise heart rate, red signals the need to slow down and blue shows a need to speed up. Other data shown on the console include distance, time, speed, calories, RPM, heart rate and intensity. Hill profiles are also simulated.
- Ten Workouts: The ten preset workouts include two with heart rate control. The others are hill profiles, interval training and other standard crosstrainer workouts. Older versions of the Elyx 3 may have only eight workouts.
- Extra Resistance: Thanks to its 45-pound drive, this elliptical can offer more resistance levels than others. Choose from 75 resistance levels spaced in 5-watt increments. The maximum wattage is 400.
- Long Stride: The 20” stride lets trainees of average and taller heights use a full range of motion. Elliptical trainers with shorter strides can actually inhibit healthy elliptical movement.
More Great Features of the Kettler Elyx 3
- Movable Handlebars for a Full-Body Workout
- 75 Resistance Levels with Automatic Adjustment
- Multiple Heart Rate Sensor Systems
- 330-Pound Capacity
- Narrow Pedal Spacing (2.5”)
- Transport Wheels
- Floor Levelers
- Virtually Silent Operation
Not So Perfect: Drawbacks of the Elyx 3
Complaints about this model are minor. First, the open design of this elliptical leaves it vulnerable to dust. It therefore requires light maintenance to keep working in peak condition.
Second, some people don’t like Kettler’s infra-red ear clip pulse monitor. Even so, the Elyx 3 has a second heart rate monitoring system built into the handlebars and can be used with a wireless telemetry system (chest strap transmitter not included).
Our Overall Review of the Elyx 3 Elliptical Crosstrainer
Superior engineering and excellent components make the Elyx 3 easy to recommend. Besides that, it’s easy to assemble and has a fair price. You should only pass on this model if the 20” stride is too long, the 300-pound capacity is too light, or you want an elliptical trainer with special entertainment features.