Horizon EX59 Elliptical
The EX59 is an entry-level trainer from Horizon Fitness. Highlights of the EX59 include SurroundSound speakers, 10 built-in programs, and an 18” stride. This unit has an MSRP of $799, but it sells for as low as $599 online.
Elliptical Hits: What You Get with the Horizon EX59 Cross Trainer
- Healthy stride – The machine’s 18” stride is relatively long for a budget elliptical. This is the minimum acceptable stride length and is ideal for petite exercisers.
- Upper body exercise – The machine’s handlebars move to help provide a full-body workout.
- Adequate programming – Ten programs and an Advanced Goal Center help exercisers reach new heights of fitness. Ten resistance levels offer an adequate challenge for a beginner or lightweight exerciser.
- MP3 sound system – Integrated speakers accept input from the user’s MP3 player. The EX59 also has a headphone outlet.
- Good warranty – The Horizon EX59 is sold with a lifetime warranty on the frame and brake plus a year of coverage for other parts and labor. That’s not so bad for budget fitness equipment, but heavy users will be taking a gamble.
Elliptical Misses: Why It’s an Entry-Level Trainer
The EX59 has a very light 14-pound flywheel. This means that it provides relatively low resistance and less challenging workouts. Furthermore, elliptical trainers with heavier flywheels offer a smoother ride.
Overall Rating for the Horizon EX59 Elliptical
This is an entry-level model that provides relatively light resistance. It’s fine for smaller beginners, but other users will either wear out or quickly master this machine. The EX79 is a more challenging and durable option.