HealthRider 8.5 EX Elliptical Cross Trainer
HealthRider’s 8.5 EX is a mid-priced elliptical trainer. With a built-in television, it’s especially appealing to people who need an extra incentive to exercise. The machine’s main features are its color TV, 20 built-in workout programs, and a relatively good warranty.
Elliptical Hits: What You Get
- Color television – The 7” color TV screen can connect to cable TV, a VCR, or a DVD player.
- Workout programs – HealthRider’s 8.5 EX includes 20 pre-set workout programs. Two heart rate programs automatically adjust the machine’s resistance to suit the particular user.
- Heart rate monitor –A handgrip pulse sensor helps users to exercise at their target heart rates.
- Upper body exercise – The 8.5 EX is called a cross trainer because of its upper body grips. These help elliptical users get a better cardio workout and add muscle tone to their arms.
- 18” stride –The 18” stride will suit many adults of short to average height.
- Bottle holder – A drink holder is conveniently built into the console.
- Warranty – Customers get a lifetime warranty on the frame, a seven-year warranty on the brakes, and a year’s protection on other parts. A year of labor is also included.
Overall Rating for the HealthRider 8.5 EX Elliptical
The 8.5 EX elliptical isn’t terribly impressive, but it makes sense for some customers. For instance, it would probably be more cost-effective to purchase a television and an elliptical trainer separately, but some people might not be able to have an elliptical parked in front of a TV.
Taller people should definitely invest in a machine with a longer stride: basics such as a full range of motion and a smooth glide are more important than built-in entertainment.
Some other elliptical brands offering built-in TVs are ProForm and Ironman.