HCI Fitness PhysioStep MDX
A Medical-Grade Recumbent Elliptical
The PhysioStep MDX from Health Care International (HCI) is a seated recumbent elliptical with upper and lower body workout options. People in a wide range of fitness levels can exercise the whole body with healthy low-impact motion, but this model is especially designed for those with troubled knees or more severely impaired mobility. For example, it’s low to the ground and features an oversized seat that swivels for mounting and dismounting. It also has a special console for people with not-so-perfect vision.
The HCI PhysioStep MDX has an MSRP of $2999. It’s the priciest HCI product in the recumbent elliptical series. The two more basic options are the PhysioStep RXT, which is also suitable for rehab centers but lacks the swivel seat, and the LTD, which is generally best for private homes.
Elliptical Hits of the PhysioStep MDX Recumbent Elliptical Stepper
- Workout types – Patients can get a lower body workout, an upper body workout with multiple positions, or a full body workout all at once with this unit. The recumbent design and well-designed stride mean that virtually no negative impact is made on a trainee’s ankle, knee and hip joints.
- Program variety – The PhysioStep MDX has nine preset workouts plus manual mode and space for two user-defined programs. The presets are named: Rolling Hills, Peak, Plateau, Mountain Climb, Hill Interval, Strength Interval, Fat Burn HRC and Cardio HRC. Sixteen intensity levels are available.
- Low-vision console – The display screen on this medical-grade elliptical bike is oversized to allow for larger numerical readouts. Also, console buttons are color-coded. A brickyard graphic indicates overall progress.
- Heart rate system – Contact pulse sensors can keep patients aware of their exertion levels during exercise. A Polar wireless-compatible system is also included, but the wireless chest strap is sold separately. The strap typically costs around $99.
- Adjustable swivel seat – The highly adjustable can be locked into 15 positions for exercise. It can also swivel to let patients on and off. The seat is designed with optimum lumbar support in mind.
- Sturdy frame – The MDX weighs 209 pounds and has a maximum user weight capacity of 350 pounds.
- Anti-slip pedals – The pedals are textured with a diamond pattern to help grip shoe soles and reduce the chance of slipping. Foot straps are included too.
- Great warranty – Commercial customers get a lifetime warranty for the frame, three years for mechanical and electronic parts, and one year for labor.
Overall Rating for the HCI PhysioStep MDX Elliptical
The HCI PhysioStep MDX makes an excellent addition to commercial rehabilitation settings, and it’s just right for home gyms of people with limited motion. In addition to featuring a low-vision console, a swivel seat, anti-skid pedals and a low height, it has medical-grade ergonomics throughout and a good variety of preset workouts. What’s not to like? This recumbent is highly recommended for medical settings and for gyms catering to people with sports injuries, physical disabilities and other needs for physical rehabilitation.