HCI Fitness PhysioStep LTD
A High-Quality Recumbent Elliptical
The HCI PhysioStep LTD has a recumbent (seated) design that lets trainees exercise the upper and lower body together or individually. It’s well-regarded for use in rehabilitation centers and private homes alike. The seated position is ideal for many elderly exercisers and for those who have trouble with balance or their joints. With the PhysioStep, the whole body can be exercised with low-impact motion and at a wide variety of intensity levels.
The HCI PhysioStep LTD has a suggested retail price of $2499. It’s the most inexpensive HCI product in this series. The two more advanced options, the PhysioStep RXT and the MDX, have medical-grade consoles for people with compromised vision. Also, the RXT operates without need for plug-in power. All three models are approved by the International Council of Aging.
Elliptical Hits of the PhysioStep LTD Recumbent Elliptical Stepper
- Workout variety – Trainees can choose from three major exercise styles: a total body workout, a lower body workout or an upper body workout.
- Program variety – The PhysioStep LTD has many preset workouts, manual mode, space for user-defined programs, and 16 resistance or intensity levels. The presets include: six standard workouts, a body fat program, heart rate control programs, a watts control program and a pulse recovery program.
- Crisp console — The high resolution console is backlit with a soft blue light. It shows time, speed, distance, calories, heart rate and resistance.
- Heart rate system – Contact pulse sensors let the user monitor heart rate throughout the workout. A Polar wireless-compatible system is also included, though the wireless chest strap is sold separately.
- Adjustable seat – The seat is well-designed to provide lumbar support and is highly adjustable. It can be used by people with a wide range of physical challenges. Adjusting the seat can also lengthen the required stride.
- Sturdy frame – The PhysioStep weighs 185 pounds and can support a user weighing up to 325 pounds.
- Great warranty – Commercial customers get a lifetime warranty for the frame, three years for mechanical and electronic parts, and one year for labor.
Overall Rating for the HCI PhysioStep LTD Elliptical
The HCI PhysioStep LTD is a great elliptical training alternative for people who prefer to not use an upright machine. In customer reviews it’s nearly as efficient a calorie-burner as a traditional elliptical. It has medical-grade ergonomics from the lower leg motion through to the comfy handlebar grips. It also features ample programming and a strong warranty for home use and for light rehabilitation.
Potential customers should note that this machine, like other seated ellipticals, has a shorter stride than most upright elliptical trainers. It’s meant more for rehabilitation and cardiovascular strength than for incredible body sculpting, but it can certainly be the center point of a physical fitness program even for people who are already in shape.
Some similar products from other brands in our reviews include the Stridewell 8320 recumbent elliptical, which also has a 12” stride, and the Octane XR6, which has a 17.5” stride.