Diamondback Fitness, Inc. is a subsidiary of Raleigh America, Inc. a company best known for its bicycles. The Diamondback brand includes road bikes, mountain bikes, elliptical trainers, and other cardiovascular training equipment. Company headquarters are in Kent, Washington.
Diamondback’s current elliptical trainers include three models: the 500Er, 900Er, and 1260Ef. Each is named to reflect its drive. Er machines have rear drives and Ef machines have front drives. Of the three machines, only the 1260Ef fares well against other mid-priced ellipticals.
Features of Diamondback Elliptical Trainers
- Compact size – The 500Er and 900Er are among the most compact elliptical trainers available. They measure approximately 2’x6’ but have long 19” and 21” strides, respectively. However, these models aren’t likely to remain stable for heavier users; the machines themselves weigh less than 200 pounds.
- Heart rate monitors – The 500Er and 900Er have heart rate grip monitors. The 1260Ef includes a wireless monitor that can be integrated with workouts.
- Various strides – The 500Er has a 19” stride, the 900Er has a 21” stride, and the Diamondback 1260Ef has the best offering: an electronically adjustable stride.
- Incline – Ten incline options are included on the 1260Ef.
- Adequate program variety – These ellipticals include space for user-designed programs in addition to preset crosstraining workouts. The 1260Ef also includes a personal trainer function to help make the most of workout options.
- Upper body exercise – Movable handlebars give users the option of exercising their arms and legs at the same time. On the 900Er, the handlebars can be adjusted for a customized width.
- Poor warranty – With all Diamondback ellipticals, customers get just 90 days in the “wear parts” section of their warranty. Protection on other parts tops out at 5 years.
Overall Rating for Diamondback Elliptical Trainers
Diamondback’s 1260Ef is an overall impressive cross trainer, but it has a disappointing warranty. The brand’s simpler models – the 500Er and 900Er – are no match for competitors in the same price category.
If the 1260Ef isn’t right for you, then check out brands such as Schwinn, Sole, Smooth, and Precor. Many of their elliptical trainers include adjustable strides, inclines, advanced programming, and audiovisual entertainment options.