BH Fitness XS5
The XS5 cross trainer, part of BH Fitness’s Signature series, is very similar to the sturdy and reliable XS3. On the XS5, resistance controls are built right into the handlebars. The XS5 also has a different console than the earlier models have, but the new console is very basic. If you’re looking for interesting graphics and a highly interactive console, then BH Fitness isn’t your ideal brand. Highlights of the XS5 are a sturdiness, a long stride, a wireless heart monitor option.
Elliptical Hits: What’s Right about the BH Fitness XS5 Elliptical Trainer
- Sturdy build – The XS5 weighs 225 pounds, has a 325-pound user capacity, and is sold with a confident lifetime frame guarantee. In addition to its heft, the machine has dual glide rails for extra stability.
- Long strides – To support a full range of motion, the XS5 has a 20” stride.
- Comfortable pedals –The XS5’s pedals are extra-large and have skid protection. They’re also well-cushioned for comfort.
- Upper–body handlebars – Movable handlebars with an ergonomic arc let users get a full body workout. With built-in resistance controls, it’s more convenient than ever to alter the machine’s resistance during a workout.
- Extras – Special features include a reading rack, a bottle holder, contact heart rate sensors, and an optional wireless heart rate monitor. The heart rate detectors can be used in conjunction with the console’s built-in heart rate workout program.
- Good warranties – The XS5 is sold with lifetime warranties on the frame and generator, a five year warranty on parts, and a year of labor.
Elliptical Misses: Where BH Doesn’t Shine
- Average programming – With just 12 basic programs and 16 resistance levels on the XS5, this machine’s workout options are unimpressive. Brands other than BH — particularly NordicTrack and others owned by ICON fitness — provide significantly more exciting workouts with virtual physical trainers, downloadable workouts, and Google Maps interactivity.
Overall Rating for the BH Fitness XS5 Elliptical Machine
The XS5 cross trainer has a sturdy build, quiet operation, and convenient extras such as a water bottle holder and magazine tray. Still, it doesn’t stand up to competitors in the same price range. Before buying an elliptical, learn about the impressive workout and entertainment features available on machines by Kettler, Tunturi, NordicTrack, and other popular manufacturers.