AFG 4.1 AE Elliptical
SixStar Certification and the Steepest Incline
The AFG 4.1AE elliptical is the highest quality AFG elliptical before one moves into the next price class, which is quite a jump. We give this model an enthusiastic review primarily for its SixStar Certified frame. SixStar certification indicates the following qualities: minimal pedal spacing, optimal upright positioning for your body, smart handlebar width, an elliptical path that mimics your natural gait, a low step-on height and a high-quality pulley system.
What else has the 3.1AE got? The power incline actually moves up to 100%! Other highlights include a hefty 30-pound drive, a complete wireless heart rate monitoring system and ten preset workouts with 20 levels of intensity each.
If you’re choosing between AFG elliptical models, here’s some information about how the AFG 4.1AE elliptical compares with two closely-named models:
- The AFG 4.0AE costs significantly less than this unit, but it’s not a good value in our review. It lacks Six-Star certification. Why choose a machine that doesn’t have great ergonomics? Also, it doesn’t have a sound system for MP3s.
- The AFG 3.1AE is a good value, but it’s a step down from the 4.1AE. It has fewer workout programs, a more basic console and a lower weight capacity. It lacks a complete wireless heart rate monitoring system and has a shorter warranty.
What You Get with the AFG 4.1.AE
The AFG 4.1AE console keeps you constantly informed about your exertion level and workout results with five LED feedback windows and an overall progress window.
The specs for the AFG 4.1AE include:
- 20″ smooth elliptical stride
- Ten preset exercise programs plus manual mode and room to save three user-designed programs. The presets include interval training, muscle toning, reverse training, weight loss, constant watts, the Oregon Trail, heart rate intervals, target heart rate zone training, mountain climb and cardio boost. Progress can be tracked online with a special Nike iPod program.
- 20 intensity levels for each program
- 21 incline levels from 0 to 100% in 5% intervals
- Articulating pedals
- Contact heart rate grips and a full wireless telemetry system
- iPod input jack and speakers with console controls
- 350-lb. weight capacity
The assembled dimensions are 76” L x 29” W x 68” H.
The warranty includes lifetime protection on the frame, five years on parts and two years of labor.
The Word on the Street
The AFG 4.1AE elliptical is a high quality elliptical with a great sales price. It’s a bit larger than the 3.1AE but also has SixStar certification, meaning that almost anyone feels comfortable on the machine. The 30 pound flywheel contributes significantly to this machine’s value, as it promotes an exceptionally smooth stride. The program variety is fantastic too! Most customers admit that they don’t actually use the incline past a few levels though.
We give high praise to the 4.1AE! This elliptical has a heavy flywheel, top-notch ergonomics and a fantastic workout library. Furthermore, people who take advantage of the steep incline will be rewarded with extra-speedy calorie burning and incredibly toned bodies. This model makes our short list of best elliptical machines for 2013.