AFG 4.0 AE Dual Action Elliptical
Advanced Fitness Group’s 4.0 elliptical trainer is an attractive and effective cardio machine. It includes 20 resistance levels, a power incline, and 8 programmable workouts.
Elliptical Hits: What You Get
The AFG 4.0 elliptical scores well on the following basics:
- Heavy flywheel – A 23-pound flywheel with magnetic resistance gives the 4.0 model smooth movement, even on an incline.
- Resistance –With 20 resistance levels, the machine can challenge a wide range of users.
- Long stride –The stride length, which is adjustable up to 20”, lets exercisers use their full range of motion.
- LED display – The 4.0’s attractive three-color display shows data such as time, incline, and calories burned.
- Lower pedal height – Compared with other elliptical trainers, AFG’s machines let users exercise closer to the ground.
- Pivoting footpads – Pivoting, non-slip footpads on the AFG elliptical 4.0 let exercisers use a natural range of motion.
- Upper body exercise – The machine’s handlebars give users the option of exercising their arms and legs simultaneously.
- Warranty – The AFG elliptical 4.0 is sold with lifetime warranties on the frames and brakes, 2 years on the incline motor, 3-5 years on other parts, and one year of labor. The parts warranty is automatically expanded to 5 years when the customer registers the equipment with Advanced Fitness Group.
- User capacity – The 300-pound capacity can accommodate most users.
Elliptical Errors: What’s Missing
- Few bells and whistles — Unlike NordicTrack, Icon, and some other elliptical brands, AFG doesn’t offer fancy extras such as an iPod dock, sound system, and iFit Live. Nonetheless, the 4.0 rivals health club machines in terms of important exercise basics.
Overall Rating for the AFG Elliptical 4.0
The 4.0 seems to be a high-quality elliptical. Competition is strong at this price point, and AFG is competing seriously. It builds upon the AFG 3.0 with a heavier flywheel and a power incline. The 4.0 provides an exceptionally smooth workout, a healthy range of motion, and a wide variety of programs and resistance levels. The addition of the power incline can help users to burn calories and tone muscles even more quickly.
Are there drawbacks? AFG focuses on exercise basics, not entertainment. Some buyers would more likely stick to an exercise routine if they used a more interactive, entertainment-based elliptical trainer by NordicTrack, Icon, and other brands. Nowadays, many home exercise machines include stereo systems and iFit Live virtual training.