AFG 18.1 AXT Elliptical Trainer
Variable Stride & Innovative Design
The AFG 18.1AXT elliptical is a great-looking silvery machine that delivers remarkably smooth workouts. Our positive review reflects this unit’s variable 19”-21” stride, narrow pedal spacing, heavy flywheel and dramatic incline options. A unique frame makes the motions of walking, running and stair climbing feel less effortless than ever, but you’ll actually be burning calories and toning muscles at a much faster-than-usual pace. After using the AFG 18.1AXT, some owners (especially those in cold climates) claim to be off outdoor walking and running for good!
What You Get with the AFG 4.1.AE Elliptical
The AFG 18.1AXT console features a “brickyard” display that provides constant feedback about your overall workout. You’ll also get five LED windows showing calories burned, your heart rate, and other data. This machine also includes iPod controls on the console to let you easily access music or link your elliptical trainer with a Nike fitness tracking program available through iTunes.
The specs for the AFG 18.1AXT include:
- 19″-21” smooth elliptical stride
- Ten preset exercise programs plus manual mode and space to save two customized programs. The presets include interval training, muscle toning, reverse training, weight loss, constant watts, the Oregon Trail, heart rate intervals, target heart rate zone training, mountain climb and cardio boost. Progress can be tracked with an iPod program linked to nikerunning.com and/or AFG’s built-in proFILE program.
- 20 resistance levels for each preset workout
- 21 incline levels from 0 to 100% in 5% increments
- Contact heart rate grips and a full wireless telemetry system
- iPod input jack and speakers with console controls
- 325-lb. weight capacity
The assembled dimensions are 62” L x 32” W x 65” H.
The warranty includes lifetime protection on the frame, three years on parts and one year of labor.
The Word on the Street
The AFG 18.1AXT elliptical gets enthusiastic customer reviews. The machine is experienced as very low-impact and as making cardiovascular workouts more enjoyable than running outdoors. Customers say that the unique frame is very sturdy during intense climbs.
We give the 18.1AXT a four-star review. Why not five stars? Nothing is “wrong” with this cross trainer, but it doesn’t necessarily provide the best value. Great competition is available from AFG itself. Since sale prices change frequently, we recommend comparing prices for this unit and the AFG 4.1AE. Both have heavy flywheels, great ergonomics and a fantastic workout collection. Some areas of difference:
- The 18.1 AXT has a more compact design, so it might make more sense for a smaller home gym.
- The 3.1AE has a longer warranty.
- The 3.1 AE has SixStar certification, which means that it’s scientifically designed to suit all but the very tallest and shortest adults. While the 18.1AXT isn’t SixStar certified, it has variable stride and a heavy flywheel. Customers rave about the smooth elliptical feel.
It’s six of one and a half a dozen of the other. We give good reviews to AFG ellipticals overall, but we recommend comparing current prices for the top models to make sure you get the best deal.