Advanced Fitness Group (AFG) Ellipticals
AFG, or Advanced Fitness Group, is a spinoff of Johnson Health Tech’s Horizon Fitness. Johnson Health Tech, which is based in Wisconsin, is a Chinese-owned company and the world’s fourth-largest manufacturer of fitness equipment. The AFG subsidiary builds four elliptical trainers: the 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, and 14.0 models.
Brand Features of AFG Ellipticals
Some features common to all AFG elliptical machines include:
- Heavy flywheels – An elliptical machine’s degree of smooth motion is determined partly by the weight of its flywheel: the heavier the flywheel, the smoother the machine. Ranging from 14.5 to 23 pounds, AFG flywheels are relatively heavy.
- Long stride – The 20” strides on all AFG elliptical models let exercisers use their full range of motion.
- Lower pedal height – Compared with other elliptical trainers, the AFG models let users exercise closer to the ground.
- Pivoting footpads – Unlike rigid pedals, pivoting footpads on AFG machines let exercisers use a natural range of motion.
- Upper body exercise – The machines’ handlebars give users the option of exercising their arms and legs at the same time.
- Strong warranty – AFG ellipticals are sold with lifetime warranties on the frames and brakes and one year of labor. Depending on the model, 3-5 years are covered on the incline motor and other parts.
Overall Rating for AFG Ellipticals
Having been launched in 2009, AFG is a young subsidiary company. Its track record has yet to be determined. Fitness experts suggest that Johnson Health Tech established AFG as a replacement for the Horizon line, whose ellipticals received poor reviews. The new machines appear to provide good value at a medium price, but only time will tell.